Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Week 1- Journal Entry: Training @ Forest Lake 1:00-2:30

September 15th, 2009


We discussed classroom set up, clean up and put away. I found out she is highly allergic to Lysol spray, which I depend on all the time to clean the air and my instruments. I think I'm going to switch to Clorox anytime surface spray for her benefit.

We went over the "hello" song and roll played scenarios of children sitting in the circle with us, singing hello and asserting different responses. We discussed how to sing hello by matching pitches back and forth together.

We talked about problem solving. For example, time out issues--when and how to send a child to time out.  Bryann seemed a little concerned and even sad that we would even have to send a child to time out. I assured her that  time out isn't a bad thing, but necessary for re-direction for each child as needed.

We played with the scarves and Bryann and I roll played me being the teacher, then her being the student, and vise versa. --worked well. We went over how to give verbal encouragement to each individual child during an activity, particularly a scarf circle dance.

Bryann clearly has a love for teaching and for children. Her very warm and inviting attitude was readily welcomed by he children on her first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment